The Heart Forest relies on volunteers for planting and maintenance. Volunteers are asked to bring their own refreshments and gardening equipment. If you prefer not to bring your lunch (or forget it on the kitchen-counter) there are several fast food establishments nearby.
Our plans for each work day depend on the condition of the ground and the trees at the forest, those marked with an asterick are a must or almost always needed, call for details on specific tasks for a work day.
- work gloves*,
- weed cutters*, motorized weed eaters are great but if you don't have one a shovel or hoe can remove weeds.
- pruning tools,
- a wheel barrow (for moving mulch, trees, small children who are tired)
- other important tools are kites and frisbees*
What to Wear: the forest site is unimproved (no paths or restrooms) so:
- wear boots or sturdy shoes*,
- long pants and long sleeves*,
- wide brimmed hat*,
- hint: dress in layers so you can take off or put on as needed.
Other good things to bring****:
- insect repellant*,
- sun screen*,
- water bottle*,
- handi wipes
- blanket or lawn chair to sit on!
- From downtown KCMO take 1-70 W to 435 N. Exit east on 120th (Rt D) 1/2 mile to Brightwell Rd. & south 2 miles to 104th St.
- Alternate route:
From I-29 N take Hwy 152W (exit 9-B) to Rt N, right on Farley-Hampton Rd. 1 mile,
left on Brightwell to 104th St.
- The Heart Forest Office-
- for events the spring of 2001 please call Jerry Monterastelli at